I have had a partially painted canvas on the easel for about two months now. I began painting with the idea that it would be an acrylic work. After the initial laying down of paint I was stuck. I grew tired of looking at it yesterday and I decided to scrub the plan. Some pages of old magazines ignited the tiniest flame. I began cutting out tiny squares from these pages and laying them over the paint with matte medium. What started as a spark, developed into a bonfire of activity. By late this afternoon, I had a completed mixed media abstract painting.
24" x 24"
Mixed media on Canvas
I followed a rather circuitous route to completion. You can see evidence of my initial intention and the beginnings of a new direction.
I cut hundreds of tiny pieces that became a mosaic of sorts.
Following hours of work, the area was covered.
I added glazes over the collaged area to unify it.
Now, something needed to be done about the middle ground - that green just wasn't making it. The area also needed some texture. The lower area of the photo is where I focused my attention. I smeared a thin layer of pumice gel across the lower border of the collaged area. I tore some paper strips and attached them with matte medium underneath. I decided to paint the area in a neutral color. Then, I decided to sleep on it before proceeding. The following morning, I worked the upper half of the painting with a combination of fluid acrylics, heavy body acrylics, and matte medium.
I used more muted tones for the lower third of the painting. I worked over the neutral area pulling colors from the collaged section. This painting definitely took on a life of its own.
All in all, it's been a productive couple of days! I will be linking this post to Paint Party Friday and Pink Saturday. Have a blessed Thanksgiving and we'll meet again soon.
Until next time,