Hello, my friends! It is a lovely Friday morning here in Morgantown. In between working on assignments for Dion Dior's Mastering Twinks Workshop, I squeezed in some time for work in my mixed media art journal.
A couple of weeks ago, I was working in my studio when I heard a very loud chirping. It was so loud, I thought that a bird had gotten into the house somehow! I went downstairs, where it sounded even louder. I searched everywhere and couldn't find the source of the chirping. I was beginning to think I'd been cooped up in the studio for too long :) As I was standing next to the front door, my "imaginary" bird-friend chirped again. I looked out the window, and there was an adorable, fat baby robin. He had belly-flopped into a huge pot of pansies on my front step. Learning to manage those new wings is tough! I ran upstairs to grab my camera, but I was sure he'd be gone before I returned. It took him a bit longer than I expected to free himself from the pansies. I had time to snap some photos. He was so cute. He still had his baby peach-fuzz feathers!
I wanted to paint some gerbera daisies from a photo I shot at Longwood Gardens, so I took a bit of artistic license and substituted them for the pansies. I used watercolor pencils to make the sketch.
I used Luminarte's Twinkling H2Os for the painting. I washed in the daisies with Hopeful Honeysuckle and Chiffon Pink. I added some washes of those colors to the sky and also added some Sunflower.
I painted in the first layer of the robin with pewter. I painted the leaves in Spanish Moss and deepened the area behind them with Olive Vine.
I deepened the shadow areas of the daisies with Yarka pan watercolor in Claret and glazed over them with Hopeful Honeysuckle and Just Peachy. I added touches of those colors to the area behind the leaves. I painted the daisy centers in Buttercup and added touches of Celadon.
I painted the breast of the robin in Oyster. I based the dark patches of feathers on the breast in pewter. The wings and head were done in Hunter gray. I added Yellow Rose and then Harvest Sol to the breast. I used those colors as well for the beak.
I wanted to capture the "peach-fuzz" quality of the feathers. The little strands of feather were quite fine. I dabbed each dark feather on the breast one at a time with a watery Hunter Grey. Using a straight pin, I dipped it into the tiny puddle and pulled the pin outward. This pulled the paint out in tiny strands. It also made slight scratches in the paper that the paint ran into. Then, I blotted the feather with a cloth to soak up excess moisture. I followed the same method for the feathers above the eyes.
I deepened the shadows behind the leaves with Green Tea. I used Faber Castell Polychromos pencils to deepen some shadows in the flowers and to add some detail to the petals. I used Yellow Rose and Harvest Sol for the flower centers. I splattered the page with watery Hopeful Honeysuckle, Harvest Sol, and Nutmeg. I used colored pencil to define some petals and the leaves.
I added white linework with a Sakura Gelly Roll pen. For the quote, I used a Sakura Pigma Micron pen, size 08. For the white accents on the letters, I used a white Uniball Signo broad pen. Finally, I added a wash of Bashful Blue to the top, and deepened it with Seaspray.
On the horizon for this month, more projects from the Twinks workshop, experimenting with Derwent Inktense Pencils, and kayaking in upstate Pennsylvania. Then, I'll take Comfort Cottage on the road for a cross-country road trip through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona. Yippee-ki-yi-ya!
I'll be linking this post to Paint Party Friday, Pink Saturday, and Art Journal Every Day. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Until next time,